Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Toothpicks & Saran Wrap

Anybody else notice how cold it's gotten?

I've had no choice, because, as I suspected, as soon as the temps dropped, I got chucked back outside. I couldn't be out there when the temps were moderate and the days were nice, could I? Heck, NO! Even after we got more people trained to be inside at the indispensible places, I still had to be there.

In getting ready for the weather change, some genius in North Carolina decided that it's more important to PRETEND to protect the cashier out in the weather. It's better to be cheap.

Either that, or they don't really have winter there, and I highly doubt that they have strong gusty wintry winds there, either.

This year, they decided that all register shelters (notice, it's for the register, not the people running said registers) will be uniform....and uniformly useless.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I do want to be outside, and really, when temps are still 10 degrees above freezing, it's not so bad.

They didn't slash open BOTH sides of the thing as the decision makers wanted, so it does stop the wind from sucking all the heat away. And they haven't confiscated my large sized cardboard windblock--yet. And they haven't replaced my slowly getting less warm heater for the glorified non-heating doorstop they tried to pawn off on me last year.

So I'm really not complaining.

But I am amazed, really, at what the imagination can do with toothpicks and saran wrap (which is basically what this shelter is), and what it can expect.

I like that they see THEIR visibility of my huddled up trying to keep warm work related activities as the most important thing. I like that they think that erecting a toothpick-and-saran wrap register shelter that actually shelters NOTHING except the dead windblown leaves and parking lot debris as a good idea and a sound use of store funds.

What I love best is that their BEST effort is to put out a memo that reads, "Cashiers should dress for the weather."

Hell, the government protects dogs you don't like from having no shelter and excessive exposure to the elements during the cold season, but nobody cares if your nose falls off your face, or you lose feeling and use of your fingers and toes (even if you are layered and dressed for exposure to extreme temps) as long as you don't miss work in the meantime.

*sigh*

But I'm not complaining...I'm just sayin'

1 comment:

Burgh Baby said...

I dunno. I think I would be complaining. It's going to get soooo cold!