Sunday, March 08, 2009

All Things Wise

It was Spring Ahead time last night--and everyone except those in Nevada know it.

We, the Mumples, generally set the clocks ahead (or back) at bedtime. That is, currently, between 9pm and 10pm.

My phone rings last night around 6:30pm. It's the Gator, and she's yapping on about Daylight Savings Time. She proceeds to tell me, no less than 4 times in 4 minutes, to remember to reset ALL the clocks in our house. ALL the clocks--the one on the coffee pot, the alarm clock, the stove, the microwave...wait. She forgot to remind me of the station clock in the hallway (cleverly hung so it is easily visible from either the front or the back hall,) the ones in the Howler's playroom and bedroom, and the one in the living room.

(I know it's an insane number of clocks, but seriously, some of them aren't our choice, and the VCR clock has NEVER been set. No lie.)

Anyway, since she did not hear me obviously changing the times as-we-speak, she proceeded to explain to me that "Spring Ahead" means to set the clocks AHEAD one hour...and that if I don't do it RIGHT. NOW. I'll be late for everything tomorrow.

"Everything tomorrow" implies that I have a fully loaded social calendar. It also implies that the everything I will be late for will cause the earth to stop rotating, and there may be a life-threatening rip in the space time continuum.

Guess what? I didn't reset the clocks RIGHT NOW and fully half of the clocks got changed today. And I was as late as I always am for church--about 5 minutes. Oh, and there was, to the best of my knowledge, no shifts in the earth, it's gravitational pull, the sun was up (mostly, we had rain) as usual, and no space time continuum issues hit town.

It's a good thing I have her to explain things like Spring Ahead Daylight Saving time. If I didn't God alone what kinds of trouble I'd be having.

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I don't think Indiana or Arizona springs ahead either. For what that's worth.

Ellie

mumple said...

lol. I guess I do need to have supervison. 'Splains everything!