I've decided to share an "Awkward" moment in Mumple history, inspired by Awkward Family Photos.
When My Sweetie and I were first dating, it came time to meet the Fam. He'd obviously met mine (and meeting my mother for the first time was memorable in and of itself, but not the story I'm telling here) since we live in the same town. But going to meet his family was nerve-wracking, made more so by the fact that his family despised his ex-wife (albeit with reason) and I'm concerned that they'll just hate me no matter what.
Plus, I really liked him, and having his family hate me would definitely not help the relationship. Did I mention how much I really liked him? He's nervous too, because the sociopath he'd previously been married to made him doubt his sanity and judgement. He's still wondering if I'm going to go medieval on him at this point.
Off we go so I can meet them.
We're at his parents house, and of course, being the youngest of five, and the previous woman's rep, they're all there to meet me. (Their order is girl-boy-girl-several years-girl-My Sweetie, in case you were wondering.) Even his fat cow of a sister-in-law, and their daughters. Everything is okay so far...everyone's on his and her best behavior. I've managed not to swear for at least 2 hours, and they seem to like me.
My Sweetie has gifts for everyone, and I have brought an appropriate gift for his mom. His mom, and two of his three sisters have smallish, friendly gifts for me, just so I won't feel left out. The Middle One, sitting next to me on the couch, turns to me and says, "I didn't know if I'd like you or not, and I wasn't going to waste my money buying you anything until I knew if I would."
My mother-in-law, to this day, is absolutely mortified that she said it, but it cracks me up every Christmas when we tell this story.
2 comments:
It's so good to have fun family stories. I don't quite know if this qualifies ... :) I kid. Sounds like y'all get along well.
Hahahahahaha!
Kinda fitting that my word verification is "brat."
Post a Comment