Saturday, January 09, 2010

Wednesday Morning

So, after dealing with increasing pain for months, I finally succumbed to it. It got to the point that I actually went to the doctor and asked for something to help it.

She gave me Cymbalta. And recommended physical therapy. And put me off work.

So, I hesitantly took the Cymbalta. Considering that the side effects I experience when taking meds, especially long-term meds, are varied, unusual, and after the fact, comical.

Ativan induces hallucinations. Various anti-depressants have caused hair loss (Chewbacca showered at my house); double raging ear infections; major confusion (couldn't tell you what my husband does for a living.) Some were just annoying when they occured, but that last one was scary!

I take the Cymbalta, without checking the side effects list--in part because I don't want to blow things out of proportion, and in part because if I get totally wigged out or something, it will be more noticable if I haven't been expecting it.

What I got started out with major nausea. Morning sickness couldn't hold a candle to this. I also didn't really sleep for about 8 days. I would rest, but not really sleep. So I could drag myself through each day, hoping that "tonight" would be when I could sleep. That faded into being so sleepy that I couldn't keep my eyes open at 9:30am after downing half a pot of coffee in 20 minutes. That's given way to being able to sleep, when normal people sleep, but waking up every morning confused.

Wednesday morning I was so confused I needed help to find the door. And then I got behind the wheel of my car to take the Howler to school (and we all know what a nightmare that is.) I'm not sure if it was that morning that I witnessed the mom get out of her car, root thru her trunk, THEN let her urchins out to go to school or not. Actually, I'm not entirely sure it happened at all.

Today, I just felt groggy and stupid.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

3 comments:

Flea said...

I missed something somewhere. Why are you in pain?

mumple said...

I was told I had fibromyalgia when the Toad was 8 or 9 years old (he's now 21, but please don't ask me to do that math!) and overall, I was mostly tired all the time.

It flaired up in May and I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. Felt better over the summer, lack of sunlight and all, and then by December, I was dragging myself through days of pain and stiffness and soreness.

Got bad enough to go to the doc, get put off work for a few weeks, try Cymbalta, and starting physical therapy today.

I've noticed, though, that the Cymbalta makes me more than goofy, it makes me confused, and "dead" in the head, and heart. I don't like it. Am switching to taking it at night, but don't have much faith in it at this point. Have one more week before I see the doc, so hope that in that week it gets better.

Flea said...

Have you tried seeing a different doc, making sure the diagnosis is correct? You might find that it's something different, more manageable.