Saturday, May 01, 2010

Just Where Do I Begin?

Oh, yeah. In the Garden Center.

Our credit card swiper machines have screens that are hard to see, especially in bright sunlight. It was a nice day, but not overly bright...which, as it happens, was the theme for that day.

One of the first customers I had this year was a woman who couldn't follow directions. I say this because after she swiped her card, and commented on how the screen was easier to see, she couldn't seem to understand what "Hit *done* in the upper right corner" meant. Since I talk my customers through the credit card process, and she spoke as if she'd been out shopping before, I didn't think it was such a hard thing: you know, look at the upper right corner of the screen, poke the screen in the appropriate area.

Yep. Too much of a concept for her. She signed her name just fine, but every time I said to "hit *done* in the upper right corner" she moved her hand confidently to the left and cleared her signature. She's say variations of "Oh, did it stop working?" and I'd have to ask her to sign again. And again. And again. And again. Finally, Einstein's progeny, a little snippy, says, "Do you mean MY right?" As if it would make any sense or be of any help to say, "Right" and mean MY right.

Even after I confirmed that it was "Yes, YOUR right" she still had trouble with the concept of her right.

No comments: