Saturday, December 02, 2006

"Who the hell do you think I am?"

Early this week, I was given a priviledge I do not often receive.

I got to be at the Customer Service desk. In the 6+ years of working at this store, I am allowed to be at Returns, on register at the front of the store, in lumber and outside lawn & garden. I am rarely allowed to be at customer service. (I believe it has something to do with not playing well with others.)

But, I got to spend my day there.

With the Head Cheese sitting in the office, near the end of my shift, this woman motors up in one of the courtesy carts. Sitting down, she is about as tall as the cart itself. I want to refer to her as a midget, but I think it would give midgets a bad name.

Me: Can I help you?

Woman: I have an order I need to pay for. {slaps credit card on counter}

M: Can I have your phone number please?

W: {rattles off phone number}

M: {I read her name from the screen; I hit the total key; I read her the total}

W: {shoves card across counter}

M: {looks at back of unsigned card} Do you have your ID with you today?

W: Jesus Christ. I need this shit from you today. {slamming purse on counter; pulls out ID, slams it down on counter} JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?

M: {quietly} I don't know, ma'am. Your card isn't signed, that's why I asked for your ID.

W: {continues on rant} This is bullshit. Like it matters if I have my ID. I hate these computers and I hate this place. I wish you'd just go back to doing everything on paper.

M: {completes sale; hands her the card and her receipt} Thank your for shopping at *******. Have a nice day.

She motors away, still muttering and ranting.

The guy sitting behind me laughs. I laugh.

The Head Cheese calls me into the office and wants to know why I'm laughing.

Geez.

I wanted to ask "Do you think she was that mean because she was that short, that fat, or because she came past the mirrors and realized she paid someone to do that to her hair?"

No comments: