Friday, February 08, 2008

Just Say No To Crack

Where I work, the uniform we are to wear is basically clean clothes that cover your body and a company provided vest or apron. Shorts can be no more than 4 or 5 inches above the knee, and must be khaki. No open toed or open backed shoes. Shirts with letters or pictures are okay--as long as the artwork is covered by your vest or apron. No see-thru or low-cut tops.Pretty basic, and easy to do.

At least you'd think so.

They've now added (whether it's corporate or just our store managers, I don't know) that your shirt cannot be seen below the bottom of your vest.
I was recently asked to "tuck." I didn't tuck, though, as I had on a button-up over a long sleeved tee. I tied. As long as the shirt(s) were not seen below my vest, it was "okay."

I'm disturbed by this, mostly because we have a manager in the store, and at least 3 younger ladies in my department, who flash their asses when they bend over, and in some cases, when they move at all.

Now, I'm not talking about a little peek at what is probably a little too close to the coin slot, I'm talking about 3 inches of ass crack staring out the world.

I personally don't care if you don't mind the breeze, but I do NOT want to see ANYONE'S ass. Not at all. No part of anyone else's ass interests me. (Just ask my husband, and he's got a nice ass.)

What I take this to mean is that, while it is inappropriate to wear anything resembling Daisy Dukes to work, it is absolutely okay to show people your ass IF you're showing the them top portions--the ones that may sometimes be covered by your vest. BUT if you are making an effort to cover your ass in any fashion, it needs to be covered ONLY by your vest.

Personally, the asses that are flashing about are all at least 20 years younger than mine--and LOOK it. I wonder if the ass-peek would be kosher if it were MY ass they were seeing.

And, I just may need to find out.

Further thoughts:
Occasionally, there is a rash of tit-ulating action.

Now, I'll state here for the record also: I don't want to see anyone's tits, either. No part of anyone's tits interest me. Not the nipple (thank God I haven't even heard a rumor about that!), not the cleavage of a well dressed pair--no part, lump, dimple, or freckle.

In pondering this, I have come to some conclusions, that based on the written policy (I posted a paraphrase of the policy above, the actual policy is considered, I believe to be *intellectual property* and cannot be reproduced without my tongue turning green and my hair falling out).

In short, it goes like this: Any part of an associate's body that would be considered *normal* for the vest or apron to cover when said associate is standing in an upright position MAY be flashed, dressed or undressed, at the world as long as, when standing stock-still in an upright position, it IS indeed covered.

That means, ladies, that yer standard Daisy Dukes are out; yer ultra-low-rise-sans-butt-floss are in. Yer basic see-thru lace blouse is out; yer vee-neck-to-yer-navel is in. Oh, and bras are optional. Seeing actual nipple is still out; cold weather nipple awareness is in.

With these new guidelines, promotable employees will be duly noted for the cameras.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Why people would want to show off their bodies at work is beyond me. Trying to pick up home improvement dudes? I don't get it. Save it for the club. And I don't want to see anyones crack either!