So, this blog is a lot of proof that I attract weirdos. And weird things happen to me. And this just proves that a new year does not mean a lack of weirdness.
Last Friday, the Howler and I were running some errands, and ended up at the grocery store. This grocery store has self-checkouts.
When in this store with the Howler, you have to balance how much stress you have in a regular check out as opposed to the stress of letting the Howler scan and bag. I usually opt for the letting the Howler scan and bag stress (I admit that this is one fight I do not choose to have with her.)
So, I stack the stuff up on the side shelf and let her have at it. I make sure I don't end up with pretzel crumbs and bags that explode, and that required staying with her, not wandering over to the newspapers or turning my back and perusing the cheap-o movie selections.
A woman carrying one item in each hand approaches me and says in a snotty tone, "Excuse me."
I move from right to left, still with the Howler. The Howler, oblivious, continues scanning and bagging.
This woman then says, in a more snotty tone, "Oh, are you with her?"
All my years in retail have trained out most of my sarcasm when in public, and I smile and tell her, "Well, yeah. I am her ride home, after all."
She HUFFS at me. Huffs. Like a pissed off cat.
She stomps past me to the next self-checkout, which was not available. I caught her, out the corner of my eye, trying to shove past the elderly man who was still scanning and bagging his own stuff.
What upsets me most is that the guys at work are disappointed that I couldn't do better--but they did helpfully suggest that next time, I phrase it "Well, yeah. SHE's my ride home. I'm too drunk to drive."
2 comments:
The last line was the clincher, lol!
I hope she got the carrot out of her butt, how uncomfortable it must have been for her.
yeah, I love that last line, too! I hate it when you find a great response too late. And I hate it when people act like that woman!
Post a Comment