Thursday, November 17, 2011

75% Off Your IQ

Customer brings an item to the register that is marked 75% off. We have to reduce the price at the register, so we do. We had to get the regular price, then do the math--I always CYA and do the math. The customer watches me do the math, and then argues that the $1.50 price that is typed into the register is wrong.

Guy: It's supposed to be 75% off.

Cashier: Yes, and that's what I reduced it to.

Guy: No, I watched her do the math. She did 25%, not 75%.

I step in to help her out, in part because I did the math for her, and in part because she's already having a really bad day and is stressed out.

M: Sir, $1.50 is 75% off the original price.

Guy, still arguing: But you did 25%.

M: Yes, because you are paying 25% of the original price.

Guy: I don't get it. It's supposed to be 75% off. That'd be less than $3.

M: Yes, sir. 75% off means you will pay 25% for it. And $1.50 is less than $3 dollars.

Guy: But that's not what you have up there.

M: Yes, sir, it is. $1.50 is the price you will pay, before tax.

Guy: But it's supposed to be 75% off.

I show him the "long" way to do the math. I times the original price by the percent off (75%, in case you forgot) and get $4.50. I then subtract 4.50 from 6.00 and get the $1.50 that's showing on my register.

Guy: That's what I'm saying. I should pay $1.50, not $4.50.

M: Yes, sir, and THAT IS WHAT IT SAYS, RIGHT HERE. (I point, again, to the price listed on my screen)

Guy: Is that less than $3? 75% off is less than $3.

M: YES.

No comments: