Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What Makes Me a Target?

I can only guess.

I have not always been so well behaved, but, as of late, I am VERY well behaved.

I go to work on time. I do my job. I do my job extremely well. I don't complain (much) and I don't spend time bitching about what--or who--I do not like. I don't whine or holler or gossip.

Sure, I find some of the people the company has hired to be weird. Unnervingly weird. I also find a good many of them to be barely competent--as in, "You've worked here how long?" But I don't complain, even if that's who I will be spending a good portion of my very busy day with.

I talk fast, and the more angry or rushed I am, the faster I talk. That, I'm working on. I'm trying to remember that most people cannot listen as fast as I can talk.

I have made great strides in letting lots of things that used to bother me slide--and not carry them 'round with me. (Of course, the really crazy things, I do share with others.)

BUT, what I don't get: Why am I THE chosen target of women managers who, while not entirely the smartest tack on the board, seem to be competent. That's taking into consideration that everyone makes mistakes.

I have no illusions regarding the department. I don't believe that managing approximately 30 people--most of whom are women--is easy. Especially not when you have to deal with personalities, competence levels, and work all that into a schedule that puts bodies where they need to be, when they need to be there.

I don't, however, understand what it is about ME that causes these women to have complete and total breakdowns in logic and basic thinking skills. If it's got my name on it, it's got to be wrong.

After something close to 3 years, you'd think that, as a department manager, she'd figure out that I am competent. And that messing with me--my schedule, my head or company policy--is NOT the way to get anywhere.

This is a woman who began her tenure with me (Plankton) by messing up my schedule, sneering and snorting at me, snipping at me, shorting my lunchtimes and breaktimes, lying to me, and stranding me at the end of my shift without coverage (can't leave my post without it). At the time, she was salaried, meaning, she got PAID to be there, regardless of her actual posted shift, until HER job was done. That job includes MY end of shift coverage.

She punched out and went home--AFTER I had made no less than 2 phone calls to her in less than 30 minutes.......and the ONLY reason I got coverage at all was because I called the Manager on Duty. My manager was already LOOOONG gone by that time--punched out and left, without making so much as a phone call to GET me coverage.

That's just the beginning.

She has, in the years following that, proceeded to continue playing the schedule games, and has kept me past my shift, at close of business for that day, while sending home others who were scheduled later. She has also singled me out to do jobs that even the store manager doesn't ask those in my position to do.

She can't tell time. One of her scheduling games is to send me on a 15 minute break immediately upon my return from my lunch. She does that when ever I have a longer shift, and would, therefore, work close to or exceeding 4 hours then, without a chance to go to the bathroom. If I were to call and request such an opportunity, she'll say "I don't have the coverage.", but I insist, I will see for myself that her not having coverage means that she has 3 other people justing standing around, making weak efforts to look busy.

This is "par for the course" and are certainly things I'm used to. She's not the first, and God knows, she won't be the last.

What sets this one above the others would have to be her blatant attempts to get me written up and/or fired.

Employee policy be damned! If she wants to ring out her own purchases on my login, that's okay.

If she makes schedule changes while I'm on vacation--changes that put me ON the schedule while I'm on vacation, well, SURE! DO IT! Do it everytime I'm on vacation--and not actually going to be IN the building to check the schedule.

Totally disregard my availability, which has been in place for a year! A YEAR! I know that I have, myself, on at least 6 separate occassions clued her in....and so had HER manager. But, hey, that's not really when I'm available, you know. It's more of a suggestion of a request of when I don't want to be there. It's not like I don't have a babysitter or other places to be, really.

Geez.

What I wouldn't give for a big bag of clues to hit her with.

No comments: