Last Friday night was the Variety/Talent Show at school. The Howler did "Little Bunny Foo Foo," since most of the songs she knows the words to are, at this point, Pink Floyd. She knows some of the words to two Hannah Montana songs, but trust me when I say that those were OVER done.
Anyway, while there, I was "lucky" enough to spend some time in the gym, back stage, to help keep track of and corral the exuberant performers. And, to keep the girls from going to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
Whilst in Hell, I noticed that the 4th and 5th graders had cellphones. And they were texting. And scanning. And whatever.
Now, I ask you--under what circumstances does a 10 or 11 or 12 year old need a cellphone? And do you really think that those circumstances include being at the school for a school sponsored event when the parents are sitting in the cafeteria/auditorium for two hours? Does a 12 year old really truly NEED to be in contact with her friends at any given moment?
I just do not get it. I'm 41 years old, and in all honesty, I need a cellphone about 20 minutes, liberally spread out over a three month period. And I have texted about three times since January 1st.
Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Or old. But either way, I can't imagine the Howler NEEDING (food, oxygen, clothing are needs, btw) a cellphone of her very own in just another three years.
No comments:
Post a Comment