Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Truth in Advertising

Today, the evil entity I work for held a blood drive. I give blood for 2 reasons: the Howler needs that community service badge, or I suggested we do a blood drive at work, and feel obligated, since even the Weasel was excited to git r dun.

I gave blood today.

I understand that in yesteryear, giving blood was a simple matter of rolling up yer sleeve, and getting jabbed. Nowadays, it involves reading a long boring missive telling you a) all the reasons you cannot give blood--and because some schmoe didn't hear the 45billion newscasts about blood borne pathogens, the reasons why those reasons exist; and b) all the reasons you should make every effort to give blood, even if it's just so you can say to yourself, "I am not a totally self-involved asswipe."

The screening process takes longer than the actual bleeding, but as long as it's happening inside an air conditioned anything, I'll take it.

The questions they ask are more than a little invasive: Have you ever received money, drugs, or other payment for sex? Have you ever had anal sex with a homosexual male? are just two examples.

After they drained my blood, I ate my crackers and moved on...

My 10 year anniversary service prize had arrived. I picked it up, jokingly told a few co workers that it was my payment for 10 years of taking it up the ass with good humor, and left the building.

It occured to me on my way home, that I had lied to the Red Cross. Technically, I have accepted money, and other payments in exchange for a form of sex, or at least, humilation explained with a sexual metaphor. Does that disqualify me now?

No comments: