My previous post reminded me of several other Name Yer Own Pricers; I honestly don't know if I've posted about them before or not. If I have, you get a recap, if I haven't, it's like it's all new to you.
A few years after we opened, guy comes into the garden center with his receipt from last year. He wanted more retaining wall block, and he wanted them for last year's price. If I remember correctly, his receipt was from early in the spring, and the day he came in, demanding we match the price was later the following summer. The receipt was better than 12 months old. He spoke to me, at least one other person, and a manager, and still didn't get last year's price.
Then there was the woman who came in, twice, and wanted me to match a competitor's fencing price. The great thing about it was that the first time she was in, the competitor didn't have a location in our city. So I had to scramble to make long distance calls. The Asshat was still there at that time and said, "OK." I was instructed by the Asshat to write on her receipt that we would match the price for the month of April. She came back in, in August or September, bearing that receipt, and demanded that I match that price. Luckily, the Asshat was there that day, and he said, "Oh hell no. Call and verify this time." So I jump thru about 15 hoops and call the store in our city--because even though she's saying the price was from the location in the college town 30 minutes away, the Asshat said, "Call local." The local place said they don't stock it. So, after jumping thru several more hoops for a long distance code, I finally call the place she says has it for a better price. Are you ready for the big shock? That store doesn't carry wooden fencing at all! She tells me I called the wrong place. I tell her I will be glad to call them back. She then says that the guy there was lying, and I was going to match it anyway. The Asshat, for once, did the right thing and said, "Oh HELL No." and she paid our price, that day, whether she wanted to or not. HAH!
Of course, this year, I got the genius who came in on a rainy day and wanted us to find and hold damaged wooden fencing for him. And he's gonna tell us what he's gonna pay for it. BWAHAHAHA! Our man in the department went out in the rain, explained that the "rustic" part of the product description meant that it wasn't going to be perfect--it wasn't meant to be--and then told the guy a more reasonable damaged price for the ones that actually were damaged.(guy wanted to pay $1 or $2 a 4x6 panel; guy paid $7 a panel.)
Of course, we always have those lovely people who think that if a box is dusty, it warrants a discount of 80% or more. We're a big-box store with the word WAREHOUSE in our name. Really? REALLY?!
And then everyone wonders why I hate people.
No comments:
Post a Comment