Friday, May 09, 2008

More More More

Cried the attention whore.

Sorry, but yet again this month, the newsletter arrived and I am astounded (ASS. TOWN. DED.) by the unadulterated whine for money and attention.

This month's included a Treasurer's report for his parish. I'm sorry, but something like that is, to me, PRIVATE. As in, this particular congregation's business--and if need be, the council, committee & bishop's business if things are truly THAT bad. But in general (and I know he's been stomping through the diocese making noises about how little money he and his parish have got) I don't believe that this is information that should be printed and sent out to THE ENTIRE DIOCESE.

To me, it's bad taste and it screams of "Poor, pitiful ME!"

My Sweetie, I'm sure, thinks that my seeing it this way is more a reflection of what I think of this parish priest, and not so much an objective view. I get that. I know that at least on some level, my disgust with this has EVERYTHING to do with who this man is, and not just feeling embarrassed for this congregation who has him.

But, on another level, I can't help be breathe a sigh of relief that I left this parish ages ago, and don't have to feel violated by this man's total lack of social skills. And I don't have to feel embarrassed that he's representing ME anywhere, for any length of time.

Today, I also, coincidentally, got to see what this parish is "encouraging" it's people to do with their tax incentive checks--it seems that they all received envelopes to "tithe" part of that money to the church. Now, I understand the concept of the tithe. But I also know that it is NOBODY's business what you give (or don't give) to your church. AND I know that a tithe is Time, Talent, and Treasure...and it includes ALL charitable giving you do--not just what ol' Father Attention Whore knows about.

It's horribly presumptuous of him. It's also pretty creepy.

Is it any wonder he skeeves me out so much? I don't think so.

No comments: