Another useless made-up holiday. Oh, how I hate 'em.
Okay, I admit, if I were older, and a man, I'd be called a curmudgeon. And I like that idea. Why can't women be curmudgeons?
Anyway, I don't like holidays that require a superficial sentiment. Hell, I don't like shopping for birthday cards.
I'm not opposed to it, as long as it's not something that I am expected to participate in, but I do have to say that I think greeting cards, in general, are over priced, and useless. I send Christmas cards because I can get them on the cheap, but I honestly think I should get special dispensation from having to buy, sign, and send Mother's Day cards--for ever. I apparently suck as a mom (no, this is not some psycho attempt to gather praise for myself. I honestly think that right now, I suck.)
I've been a mother (no comments from the peanut gallery, please) for just over 19 years. I can honestly say that Mother's Day actually means very little to me. Having a *special day* just *for me* seems useless. It's not like I get the day to myself...and, most years, if I'm working, it's just a series of glimpses into the whacked-out-ness of most of the people on the planet: for example, one year, a guy stood outside the garden center gates shortly before the store opened and cursed and yelled at me because he had "a hanging basket emergency." WTF? I maintain that there's absolutely NO SUCH THING--even if the hanging basket is flying towards your head, it's a blunt-force trauma emergency, not a hanging basket emergency.
I like my birthday better--and we all know what I really think of that. *sigh* I know I forgot to get an inflated priced, supersappy card for someone...but who?
On a happier note:
For Mother's Day, the Howler made a pencil holder with a can, popsicle sticks and ribbon. It's sweet, but the best part is the coupon book she colored and filled in. It's got the single best gift any 6 year old could offer her mother--she'll play outside 10 times. (Yeah, it's a keeper. I'm hiding it from her!)
1 comment:
Don't worry, I'm a curmudgeon too. I hate all those holidays . . . especially because they usually mean you can't go out to eat because a gazillion people are taking their old crone relatives out. It sux.
Post a Comment