Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Little Buggers

Before I begin, if you're of the Old School Opinion that head lice is a *dirty* thing--skip this. I don't need to hear it.





This is apparently the Summer of the Bugs.





First, the Howler and her friends were collecting them. Creepy, and the only thing that saved me from having the house infested with some of them was the many-uttered edict "NOT IN MY HOUSE!" and violent heaving out the door of anything bug-like.





Second, there's head lice going around. Joy. As if that's not ewwww enough, I have to know people whose children have gotten them. Those people whose children have played with mine in the preceding three days before discovery. Double Joy.





Like I want the stress and inconvenience of it all.





But this rant is more about the absolute dysfunction of some of the people around me. I've ranted enough about OPK, now let me explain about OPKP (Other People's Kids' Parents).





It sucks to be a sane, rational person in a neighborhood with a Village Idiot. Seriously.





These people, who respectively, have one daughter each, are morons, and prove, yet again, that most people should be tested and approved before conceiving.





In the past 3 months, Loser Boy/Village Idiot #1 has, for no reason whatsoever, called me a "slut." My responses (as no one else has heard him) kept to the *sweet smile* "Like your loser opinion matters to me." It's not snappy, but there were children around, and I was not going to have him thinking that HE has any power in my life-I also knew that no one else could hear him, and making a big deal of it would make ME look like some sort of nutjob. Ignoring everything he has to say thereafter seemed to drive the point home. I can tell you that if it happens again, he's getting the full Mumple treatment--and I guarantee you, he's not gonna like it.





Village Idiot #2, his *wife*--she's not much better, parenting wise, than Loser Boy. Lazy about it. Counts on the compassion of others to help her take care of her children. She's hauled her daughter, or his, to work with her, and had them duck down behind the counter or into the back room because neither of them could figure out how to get a freaking babysitter. I ended up with HIS daughter one afternoon because my husband stopped in, felt bad for the little girl, and called me to help out. I said, "OK" but made sure that I repeated, many times, what time I had to leave for work that day. I would not be late, nor would I call off--not to cover their asses. They tried, though--I ended up taking their child back to work on my way to work. I also told my husband that I would NEVER AGAIN agree.





I don't like kids, and, rude as it sounds, this wasn't MY daughter. I make sure MY daughter has supervision and care when I need to go to work, and it doesn't involve locking her out of the house and hoping that the neighbors cover for me. (Yeah, they've done this one, too.)





Considering that Loser Boy's Squirrel Bait mother lives right next door and refuses to babysit these little girls for them, it's most definitely NOT my problem.





But on with my rant: One neighbor & friend calls us last night to tell us that Village Idiot #2's daughter has head lice. They called HER, wanting HER to do something about it. She called to warn us.





Next thing I know, I get a call from Village Idiot #2, not to tell me to check my daughter and be prepared, but to mention repeatedly how she was at work, Squirrel Bait has the victim, and Loser Boy is at home. Between these geniuses, they have 2 cars and all 3 are capable of driving. NONE of them can go get the RID to treat this little girl's head. VI#2 says she's a work and *can't* on top of the fact that she has no money with her besides.





Loser Boy and Squirrel Bait can't go either. I assume they're both using the "It's not my daughter" excuse. Never mind that there's a little girl, who is part of their chosen family, infested with the buggers.





None of them can "figure out" where she got them, either. My Sweetie knows--Loser Boy's Psycho Sister's kids had them two weeks ago--and they spent a few days visiting Squirrel Bait. Psycho Sister is a vindictive, selfish wench, and she's sent the kids to school and babysitter with infectious things before, so I would guess that head lice and MY neighborhood wouldn't be that much of a problem for her.





So, they drop hints at me--like I'm going to ensure my family's vermin exposure to be the grown up they need. These people are supposedly adults. And they're calling me to come play "Mommy" for them, and to them. He was in the Marines. She was in the service also--Army, I believe. Squirrel Bait raised children. Like I said, supposedly adults. She even dropped hints that she needed someone she could trust to wash the girl's hair for her.





I am astounded that these people think that I'm going to drop everything and rescue them. I apparently strike these people as a *mother hen* type--or a rescuer. Or something along the lines of a doormat, who will do whatever it takes to help them out. They're obviously not paying attention.





I'm so hoping they ASK me about it...oooo. Yes, I am.

No comments: