Friday, September 17, 2010

WTFriday

Didn't happen on a Friday, but I'm posting it now, so suck it up.

The other day at work, I had the most interesting customers, and am not the least bit surprised to discover that they are married to each other.

My first encounter was with Tree Woman. I had a few trees to mark down, and she came out, ooh'd and aaah'd over them. Then she told me, "My husband is coming up here to look at these. If someone else tries to buy them before he does, don't let them, okay."

After I managed to pick my jaw up off the floor, I had to tell her, "I'm sorry. I can't refuse to sell something like that. If you want to pick one or two of them to hold for him to see, I can do that, but I can't tell another customer they can't buy something that's out on the floor for sale." She looked at me like I'd taken a swing at her.

A short while later, Blueberry Man came up, and in the middle of another customer's sale, he leans on the counter and asks who can make a decision on reducing something? I tell him that she's not available right now, and I'll try and find someone when I'm done with the transaction. While he's leaning way into my personal space, sucking up other people's transaction time, an older lady comes up and demands that "nobody came" to help her, even though I've called and paged already. I tell her I'm trying to get someone for her. (It was that kind of day...I think every one turned off their phones because they were too stressed from being short-staffed and overworked/overdemanded) Blueberry Man isn't backing up and he's not moving over. Every time I tried to call that special someone to come up and talk to him, he began talking to me too. And so did the old woman. I finally had to tell both of them that I was trying to get them help (although, in all honesty, not the professional help they both so seriously needed) and could I please make this phone call to get it?

Gawdawful.

Finally, Blueberry Man shows up at the register to check out. He won't get out of my way to scan stuff, and again, when calling to get the prices adjusted, he talked when I talked. So I had to keep repeating myself before the person who needed to come could hear what I needed from them.

He had also swapped some of the plants in the fancy-schmancy planters and couldn't understand why I wouldn't ring up one item as another.

As he was paying, the rest of his party arrived--you betcha, it was the Tree Woman, and no, I wasn't the least bit surprised.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I bet you smelled good.