A week or so ago (before her vacation at Grandma's) the Howler announced, at dinner, that "one day Mommy wanted a little girl and that's why I'm here."
Being the horrid mother I am, I informed her, that, "no, not really. I didn't want a little girl OR a boy. I wanted a cat."
She was not in the least surprised or put off by that. She insisted that I did, indeed, ask God for a little girl--specifically, her Howlerness.
I had to be clear: She was not planned. She was a knock-me-to-the-floor unexpected surprise.
A delightful surprise, but a surprise none-the-less.
She asked why I thought I wanted a cat.
"Because, my darling, I didn't know how wonderful YOU would be. I had never had a little girl, and Toadwort was just about grown up. I didn't know better.But now, my girl, I wouldn't change you being here for anything, anything, anything in all the world. You're better than anything I could have dreamed of."
This discourse came at during a particularly trying time of stubborness and defiance. I'm surprised I didn't tell her the gypsies would be here in the morning.
And she likes her version better. I think I do too.
Being the horrid mother I am, I informed her, that, "no, not really. I didn't want a little girl OR a boy. I wanted a cat."
She was not in the least surprised or put off by that. She insisted that I did, indeed, ask God for a little girl--specifically, her Howlerness.
I had to be clear: She was not planned. She was a knock-me-to-the-floor unexpected surprise.
A delightful surprise, but a surprise none-the-less.
She asked why I thought I wanted a cat.
"Because, my darling, I didn't know how wonderful YOU would be. I had never had a little girl, and Toadwort was just about grown up. I didn't know better.
This discourse came at during a particularly trying time of stubborness and defiance. I'm surprised I didn't tell her the gypsies would be here in the morning.
And she likes her version better. I think I do too.
1 comment:
ROFL!
I have a cat. And a little girl.
Post a Comment