Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A *Green* Card

Today's Woman to Woman topic reminded me of something else about my grandma.

I do have to 'fess up first--my mother's immediate family is rather, uhm, interesting. My aunt plans her days around the horse racing schedule--not because she owns a horse, and not because she's betting on someone else's horse: she just likes the races, and with the wonders of modern technology, she can watch horse racing on cable all day, every day. (side note: I know the cable thing because the Howler turns it on and rides her bouncing horse in these same races.)

Now, back to our story: During the holidays, Kevin and I have taken over New Year's Day from my mother. It's nice for her--and nice for us. We volunteered for this gig, so it's fun. Anyway, last (this? lol) year, my aunt and grandmother came over and after dinner, had a lively conversation with my stepdad (He doesn't know how he ended up in this conversation which cracked me up too.)

The topic of the conversation? Illegal Aliens. While my grandmother is going off about George W. and how he, it seems, goes over to foreign countries, picks 'em up, and brings 'em back pesonally!--all using our tax dollars and all without ever once having the news media in on it!-- my aunt is going off about how "they" took her job away from her. The woman hasn't worked in 20 years! I kid you not! And she LEFT that job due to a *back injury*.

At this point, Kevin and I are washing pots and pans and cleaning up the kitchen, where this conversation is taking place. Thank God I had something to do. I was struggling to not shriek with laughter--all I can imagine, every time one of the two old bats says, "illegal aliens"--and they said it in every sentence either of them used--is little green men swooping into America from outerspace.

I'm having visions of little green men working at McDonald's in Texarkana: "Eeep dork blahzipting" (translation: do you want fries with that)

Close Encounters of the Toilet Kind: Richard Dreyfuss has funny experiences and drives his wife to distraction because of the weird looking maid the neighbors just hired.

Migrant workers loading up the saucer and movin' on to the next town.

I can't remember them all, but I keep choking back laughter--and Kevin kept poking me in the back. It helped.

At least now I understand why it's called a Green Card.

No comments: