I am not a nice person. Sure, I can imitate nice people, and have even been known to be compassionate and caring (not often, but sometimes, it sneaks up on me) but, in general, I'm not a nice person.
I don't have time, nor do I care enough about 99.9% of the people I come into contact with to expend the energy it takes to be a nice person. While at work, where I get paid, I can be nice to customers, and occasionally, it bleeds over to my co workers, but again, I stress the paid part of that. In a nutshell, you are are advised to tread carefully if I'm not wearing the Gawdawful vest, especially if you are stupid, selfish, greedy, sneaky, immature, or otherwise annoying to the multitudes around you.
That said, I will continue by telling you that this post, in no way, reflects on my appreciation for the men and women in the military who sacrifice a lot to protect my right to be a not nice person.
But, having said all that, I have to say that simply by being, or having been, enrolled in the armed forces, does not give you a 'bye' in any way from my thinking that you are an asshole.
Turns out that Miss PTA Thang was a Marine. And in the Middle East, where her PTA vote-for-me bio says she was actually IN CHARGE of stuff.
This floors me.
I have the naive impression that being a Marine, in any shape or form, would mean that you would not behave like a 13 year old girl when faced with a group of people who are not impressed with you. Especially if you had, in your tenure as a Marine, been overseas, been in a war zone, and been responsible for the lives of other Marines. Basically, I would expect that a Marine would be able to suck up whatever wasn't going his or her way, not make excuses, and deal. I am, however, impressed that she hasn't been blathering about her Marinedom before--too often, in my experience, the Marines I've had the displeasure to meet, make being a Marine their biggest achievement--and they use it as an excuse to be a complete asshole too.
I would also have expected a Marine to not throw a tantrum, and I would have expected that at some point, also, the US government would have given you a hard consonant or two as a going-away present when your time was up. I think Uncle Sam could've at least done that much.
No comments:
Post a Comment