Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Where Do They Find Them & Why Do They Keep Sending Them To Me?

I have to say that at least, in the latest crop of hires, there are some decent people who can do the work.

I especially like the one who is at the desk, and who asks questions when she's up against something she hasn't seen before. Even if you can't show her right when you're doing it, she asks you to show her and explain after-the-fact, so that she can do it herself next time. I like that, and I like her.

Anyway, we've got some real winners in the mix also.

The ones I recently got to know better are:

Register Tape Infinity

This brite little package thinks that if the printer doesn't work, it's the entire computer needing shut down--even when the message pops up and says, "Check Printer", she doesn't think to actually CHECK THE PRINTER.

Last night, I ended up with literally no register tape, because she "needed" to reboot her register/computer because it "froze up." So she did that, but she also stood there and WATCHED someone else ring up her customer on a different register--no attempt to even help bag the merchandise was made.

I discovered her *oversight* when the first customer I tried to help came up. There was, I kid you not, 1/4" of register tape in that machine. The lights were all red (granted they aren't as bright as they used to be, but come on!) and she apparently thought that she had been granted "Register Tape Infinity".

I told them today, since I was again, covering her break: "See to it that she knows and understands how to check that tape, and how to get more and how to change it BEFORE I get there."

We also have:

I Want Out Early

Our company has a relatively generous break policy. One that it enforces, due to a variety of local, state, and federal laws. They are careful to follow the company implemented break policy because it's just good business--especially for those of us who cannot self-relieve (meaning, we have to have someone else at our station/assigned place in order to go to the bathroom, take meds, grab a bite to eat or drink. And sometimes, for mental health reasons, those breaks are the difference between bloodshed/tears and sane workers.

This Newbie has decided that if she's scheduled to work 5.5 hours, she wants to work those 5.5 hours and "get the hell out of here." That's fine, except that the 5.5 hours you're scheduled is actually 6 hours WITH A 30 MINUTE BREAK. You don't get to work those 6 hours and get paid for 6 hours. If you CHOOSE to not take your break, you lose your break (and your bitching rights) and you will be docked the 30 minutes. You'll also still be here, especially if you're scheduled 'til close, 'til close. You will not be going home after 5.5 hours. You have to bleed out your eyes for that.

And yapping (and snapping) at me isn't going to get it done your way, either.

I am, btw, PLANKTON in the store--I am low on the food chain. Whatever power and authority you were lead to believe I have stops shortly beyond my own personal space. No matter how well I make a decision, I am still not THE decision maker* in the company.

I am so desperately happy that I got to experience BOTH of these this early in the game. I can now specifically site why I do not want either of these to specimens to come and *help* me outside, if I ever get there.

When I'm busy out there, I don't need yappy to tell me how much she doesn't like company policy (like it or lump it, you agreed to live by it while you're here--you accepted that smock and that last paycheck, didn't you?). I also don't need someone who will stand and watch me (and others) help customers because she ran out of something (like brains) in the middle of a transaction.

*See previous flypaper for freaks posts for more information

2 comments:

Mom O Matic said...

Very funny! Thanks for stopping by!

zenjen said...

I am coming into your store, setting up a chair with some snacks and going to watch and laugh the afternoon away.. what kind of snacks do you like? Meet me there.. on your break. *wink