Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Serial Killers R US

There's a guy that comes in who really makes my skin crawl.

He seemed harmless enough--just a little *off*--at first.

Then, he came in last spring and waited around until the place all-but emptied out and started talking to me, totally out of the blue, about the computer chips that can be implanted into people and used to locate them if they come up missing.

He felt it was "against his rights to privacy"--"What if some woman, who has no business being at my place, is reported as missing, and if she has that chip, they find her at my place? Then I get into trouble because of it. It's against my right to privacy."

I'm thinking, "Yeah, you don't want anyone finding those women in your basement freezer."

So, after that, I notice that he kind of follows me through the store. If I'm at one particular place, he just kind of hangs out near there. He doesn't have to come through my check out lane, but he just kind of is *there*--wherever I happen to be.

Once, I was in picking up stuff on my day off, and he spotted me, and he followed me well enough to get in line behind me when I was checking out. He tried to make conversation, "Didn't you used to work here?"

Creepy.

He's grown a beard since the last time he was in and I had the chance to make someone switch name tags with me. She thought I was nuts, but after watching him for a while, and she talked to him, she decided I was right--he was skin-crawling weird.

Now, last Saturday, he shows up again, and it's busy. He comes through my line. He talks quietly enough so that no one else would hear him, but he starts about "Technology is a pain in the ass" and ends with "Like those computer chips."

I'm creeped out enough that I'm telling everyone I can that if I call them and just tell them to come up to the register, SOMEONE needs to come.

I'm not easily creeped out--I get more than my share of nutjobs, freaks and weirdos. But this one is different.

If I ever come up missing, I hope to God someone gives his name to the police.

4 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

I'm dying laughing. Where do these people come from?

Here's one for you...there's this kid at the high school that the other psychometrist tested and she thought he was really odd. Just sortof off. She was talking to his teacher later and he said, "Did he tell you about his collection?"

Turns out the kid collects things like hairs that girls he finds attractive have shed...

mumple said...

Jen, it would be funny to me if I weren't so horribly creeped out about him.

I'm not easily jolted like this--but I just have this feeling that if I had any kind of predictible schedule, he'd actually be stalking me.

I asked HR to remind everyone that ANYONE who asks for (my) schedule be told that they don't have that information and that they let management and me know.

There's another one who verbally started on me once at a local festival. He gives me the creeps, but I have no doubt that I can keep HIM at bay, and I'm not the only one he does this to.

This one just makes me think of a serial killer, and not because I read too much!

Anonymous said...

How do you get these people??? I have to say-- they story creeped me out-- I wanted to scream Run, run! the further down I got.
I think you should dye your hair another color and hide in the back... creeeeeeeepy.

Anonymous said...

How creepy!
Trust your instincts with this nut-job!