This was written for my church's newsletter. Postcards from the Pew is in lieu of a Pastor's letter to the congregation traditionally found in most parishes' newsletters.
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end. They are new ev’ry morning, new ev’ry morning. Great is thy faithfulness O Lord! Great is thy faithfulness.
The refrain from this song in the Come Celebrate songbook has been stuck in my head since last Saturday.
By now, I’m sure everyone has heard that the Rev Sean Rowe of Franklin, PA, was elected our next Bishop in one ballot.
I was struck, more than anything, that a large gathering of people who, for all intents and purposes have trouble agreeing on the smallest detail, could overwhelmingly agree so easily on who would be the 8th Bishop of the Diocese of NWPA.
I believed, especially after listening to the three nominees at the Walk About in DuBois on May 5, that the choice was clear. I was hesitant to express it because I felt so strongly that Fr. Sean was indeed who God was calling to lead this Diocese and that I would, in discussing it, be overly zealous (obnoxious and annoying). For me, it was as if a spotlight had been lit on a darkened stage.
After praying harder than ever, I remembered something I heard at Alpha: if you are ever unsure if the answer you believe you received is from God, ask yourself if it comes with peace. If it does, then it is from God, because God is peace, and He sends us peace.
Of course, I’m paraphrasing, but in all ways, the answer that seemed so clear left me feeling not only peace, but joy. How could that not be from God? I felt as I did when going to Cursillo in 1988 or to Vocare in 1996: nervous, alive, and full of joy.
Those things I know to be from God, so I have no doubt that the single ballot in deciding this election was not only the result of fervent and faithful prayer, it is, in all ways, the will of God.
To the words from Fr Sean: “Today is a great day in the Kingdom!” I would add a joyful “ALLELUIA!”
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end. They are new ev’ry morning, new ev’ry morning. Great is thy faithfulness O Lord! Great is thy faithfulness.
The refrain from this song in the Come Celebrate songbook has been stuck in my head since last Saturday.
By now, I’m sure everyone has heard that the Rev Sean Rowe of Franklin, PA, was elected our next Bishop in one ballot.
I was struck, more than anything, that a large gathering of people who, for all intents and purposes have trouble agreeing on the smallest detail, could overwhelmingly agree so easily on who would be the 8th Bishop of the Diocese of NWPA.
I believed, especially after listening to the three nominees at the Walk About in DuBois on May 5, that the choice was clear. I was hesitant to express it because I felt so strongly that Fr. Sean was indeed who God was calling to lead this Diocese and that I would, in discussing it, be overly zealous (obnoxious and annoying). For me, it was as if a spotlight had been lit on a darkened stage.
After praying harder than ever, I remembered something I heard at Alpha: if you are ever unsure if the answer you believe you received is from God, ask yourself if it comes with peace. If it does, then it is from God, because God is peace, and He sends us peace.
Of course, I’m paraphrasing, but in all ways, the answer that seemed so clear left me feeling not only peace, but joy. How could that not be from God? I felt as I did when going to Cursillo in 1988 or to Vocare in 1996: nervous, alive, and full of joy.
Those things I know to be from God, so I have no doubt that the single ballot in deciding this election was not only the result of fervent and faithful prayer, it is, in all ways, the will of God.
To the words from Fr Sean: “Today is a great day in the Kingdom!” I would add a joyful “ALLELUIA!”
No comments:
Post a Comment