Sunday, June 17, 2007

Almost As Good As a Birthday

The Howler is a germ magnet of the grandest proportions--and how the germs effect her is never how they effect the other members of the house.

She infected me with a spring cold. While on vacation. At my inlaws.

So, of course, she's over it once she spews all over the kitchen linoleum, and I am sore to the eyes, and since we're not at home, unable to get as much rest as I'd like. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but the mattress on the bed we sleep in isn't that comfortable--and the bed is smaller than ours at home. And Kevin and I are both bed hogs.

But back to my point.

We're finishing our vacation with Kevin not happy to go back to work (and plenty of it for Monday) and me without a voice. It was gravelly and crackly yesterday, and, after having to squeak at the Howler (she was doing the selective hearing thing she does so well) at least twice, my voice is totally gone. I can get a whisper if I don't speak for at least 2 hours.

It's frustrating, because my head hurts besides, and even clearing my throat produces nothing more than an raw feeling and makes my eyes burn.

I have to work tomorrow, and while it may seem silly, I do need to be able to at least whisper a bit--people will ask me questions and wild gesticulating isn't communicating to my family--not even Kevin--I don't think it's going to go over well with anyone at work. Especially not on the phone or page.

Even with a dry erase board, I don't think this will work.

It's even more fun, because I have to call myself off--Kevin can't do it--no matter what. I'd have to get up, go in, and squeak at them and hope they realize it's not fake, and I really can't speak.

There are calls I need to make, and I can't because I can't get above a whisper to come out of my mouth. I have to hope that I can get Kevin or Theo to do the talking for me, and Theo is not really co operating or being helpful. Apparently, my losing my voice is more inconvenient to him than it is to me.

It's almost as much fun as having an extra birthday.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Get thee to a doctory.