In the garden center, the only phones are the phones at the registers, two cordless ones for the people on the floor to use and one phone on the post immediately outside the sliding glass doors.
The one on the post has been MIA/OOA since sometime last fall.
Usually, of the three phones that are available at the three registers, two work. Sometimes only one works, and when that happens, it's the one farthest from the most convenient register for cashiers and customers to use.
If, by chance, the phone stops working during the busiest time of the year, you have 3 registers running and ONE phone. How fun is that? To use the phone to summon customer service of any kind, that doesn't involve the point-and-shoot method of ringing customers out, you must dance between customers, customers' stuff, customers' children, other personnel and whatnot.
It's certainly a intersting most days.
We spent the better part of two weeks with 2 phones at the registers working--and that's all the phones we were allowed to have.
This is important to know. The company, apparently, is gathering video (it's supposedly a live link to HQ) for use on America's Funniest Home Videos. Hours of silent movie-like entertainment. Please pass the popcorn.
A few days ago, I spent some time in an different arena. A place that also has 3 registers. And two phones. Of course, one of those phones was immediately next to a service desk area that is polluted with at least 3 other working phones.
The way this area has been remodelled is the wonderful--it's the way the Yahoo who decided where to put things when the place was built should have put them--BUT the main register, the one that would be used most often, does not have a phone.
While there, it was recommended that I spend my time in the "No Phone Zone." I declined.
As much as I love doing the Phone Dance, I have no desire to dodge customers, customers' VERY long and bulky stuff, and whatnot, all in an area that sometimes has forklifts zipping along through it.
I do not have a death wish--and it's the Phone Dance, not the Death Wish Dance.
The one on the post has been MIA/OOA since sometime last fall.
Usually, of the three phones that are available at the three registers, two work. Sometimes only one works, and when that happens, it's the one farthest from the most convenient register for cashiers and customers to use.
If, by chance, the phone stops working during the busiest time of the year, you have 3 registers running and ONE phone. How fun is that? To use the phone to summon customer service of any kind, that doesn't involve the point-and-shoot method of ringing customers out, you must dance between customers, customers' stuff, customers' children, other personnel and whatnot.
It's certainly a intersting most days.
We spent the better part of two weeks with 2 phones at the registers working--and that's all the phones we were allowed to have.
This is important to know. The company, apparently, is gathering video (it's supposedly a live link to HQ) for use on America's Funniest Home Videos. Hours of silent movie-like entertainment. Please pass the popcorn.
A few days ago, I spent some time in an different arena. A place that also has 3 registers. And two phones. Of course, one of those phones was immediately next to a service desk area that is polluted with at least 3 other working phones.
The way this area has been remodelled is the wonderful--it's the way the Yahoo who decided where to put things when the place was built should have put them--BUT the main register, the one that would be used most often, does not have a phone.
While there, it was recommended that I spend my time in the "No Phone Zone." I declined.
As much as I love doing the Phone Dance, I have no desire to dodge customers, customers' VERY long and bulky stuff, and whatnot, all in an area that sometimes has forklifts zipping along through it.
I do not have a death wish--and it's the Phone Dance, not the Death Wish Dance.
No comments:
Post a Comment