Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Things to Teach Our Daughters

Of all the things we need to teach our children, there are some basic things that seem to NEVER get talked about--at least not in public.

Let's be real here, people. We have daughters. Those daughters deserve the truth from us--and that truth involves teaching them certain things about hygeine and beauty.

First and formost:

Makeup should NEVER EVER under any circumstances be put on 1) in a moving vehicle, especially if she is the one driving; 2) in the dark; 3) after drinking any amount of alcohol or taking any kind of drug that is labelled "do not operate machinery". I also think that after a certain age, say, 90, women should not be allowed to purchase makeup. It's sad, but it just makes things worse. At least require a mental "with it" test of some sort. Please!

I've seen it, and it's not pretty. Well, okay. Pretty is used in describing it, but not in the classic sense, but in the "pretty ugly" and "pretty scary" sense. Either way, it's not something I need to see or experience in any way.

For example: a few weeks ago, in the heat of summer, a woman comes in to the garden center. First, she's about 70 years old (it was hard to tell, but I'll explain that in a minute) and she's wearing ALL BLACK. And, it looked like she paid someone to dye her hair that same black-black shade. Now, in my opinion, that's worse than dying her hair blonde. It's elder abuse. The thing was all pasty, where she wasn't black--and she had on what appeared to be clown makeup without the white pancake makeup. Splotches, really really BIG splotches of a very brightly reddish pink rouge and bluish eye shadow (I won't even discuss THAT), and very very red lips. She looked, quite honestly, like HELL. When she dies, I hope to God they let the makeup artist at the funeral home make her look "natural" and not what-in-God's-name she looks like when she's all dolled up on shopping day.

It made my eyes hurt just looking at her, and it makes me wonder, did she wake up before dawn and do this to herself, hoping to save $0.30 on her electric bill, or was she drinking that early in the day?

Either way, it's an image that is burned into my brain. My next rant will involve "Things to Teach our Daughters about their bodies and fashion". I hope to God I never see THAT sort of trainwreck again, either.

2 comments:

daionara said...

She probably thought she looked lovely. My Grams still puts on make-up and does it well...she's in her 80's. But if they can't see worth squat, no make-up unless someone else does it. Otherwise I too go blind...and I start humming the clown tune.

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, since my Grandma was an Avon lady for 35 years, she knows how to do makeup. She's 90 and still looks great. When I grow up, I want to look like her.