Thursday, August 17, 2006

It's All About the Benjamins

After sitting in L&G for 2.5 hours without seeing a soul....

A guy comes in, chooses 2 trees for a total of $42. +change. He hands me a gift card, and then goes with the associate to get them loaded into his vehicle. The gift card only has 17 cents on it! I swipe it again, this time typing in the $$ amount I need taken off.

~INVALID CARD NUMBER~

I type in the $$ amount AND the card number.

~INVALID CARD NUMBER~

I call the 1-800 number to verify the amount on the card.

$00000000000000000000000000

I have to walk out into the parking lot and have him come back in....I ask him how much he thought was supposed to be on the card.

$50.

I call the 1-800 number AGAIN. I get cut off. I dial AGAIN. I type in all the numbers....

$00000000 balance....

and then I have to wait for what seems like HOURS to get the place where I can hit *0* to talk to a live person. (You can't hit it before that point. Believe me, I tried.)

I finally get a live person. Mr. Personality. I read him the card number. He asks for it again. I read him the card number. He asks for the 1/2 of the number AGAIN. (Already, I'm having flashes of climbing the bell tower...) So, then he tells me the balance is $00000000.

I explain that I am a cashier at store 1010, and is there any way he can check the history of the card for me?

Sure there is.

I already KNOW that, but you, Mr. Personality, are one more reason I hate people.

Anyway, he tells me the date the card was activated for $50. THEN he tells me that on XX-XX-XX, a $49.83 purchase was made at store #1010.

So, the balance really WAS 17 cents.The genius who is making the purchase wants to know what's going on. I explain to him....blah blah purchase blah blah....and he says, "So, what are you telling me?"

*The balance still due is .....* He hands me ANOTHER gift card.

Oh. Yeah. The petty gods of retail HATE ME.

He tells me there is only $10 or $11 dollars left on it. THANK GOD THAT HE WAS RIGHT.

I then read him the *balance still due after the credits....*. He looks at me like he cannot belive I'm still expecting money.

2 comments:

daionara said...

Like I said, a pity it's against the law to shake people. Or slap them. Sometimes slapping them would be fun!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Reminds me of those customers trying to pay with bad checks, right after the scanners came out that would immediately page your account..."but I still have checks left...what do you mean?"