Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Flypaper for Freaks

Yet again, I find that the truly bizarre people of the world are attracted to me.

Today, an older woman comes in and asks, "Does the nice gay young man who worked here last year still work here?"

Now, not that it's any of my business, by I've got better gay-dar than most gay people. I can spot 'em a mile away. And, unfortunately, I can tell just exactly how gay they are. Not PC, but true just the same.

Anyway, over the last 5 years, there have been at least a half-dozen people who are gay, in some form or another, and a few of them still work there. Okay, fine. BUT I still don't think it's up to me to either confirm or deny this woman's belief.

She keeps insisting, for about 5 minutes, that I remember who this gay man is. I am actually speechless with trying to come up with a polite, customer-friendly way to not answer this question.

I ask her if she remembers what he looks like.....a name....anything other than "gay".

Finally, she says, "He's a lovely young man to deal with." Okay. I know who that would be. He gets described THAT way a lot more often than "gay".

So, even after I acknowledge who it must've been, based on "lovely" because he does handle the older women really well (even if they're nuts, obviously), she still keeps talking about how GAY he is.

Finally she wanders off to find clearance priced orchids. Lovely.

She comes back up to me later, and actually starts running her finger back and forth across my name tag. My name tag is directly over my right breast. Okay, not breast, even. MY BOOB! She's touching MY BOOB!

Well, other than the myriad of comments I can make about what that says about her, let me just say, OH MY GOD! How totally inappropriate is this? How do you politely tell the crazy lady to STOP TOUCHING MY BOOB?

I'm also sad to say, she was not even close to being the creepiest or weirdest person I encountered today. Ironically enough, that award goes to a GAY person.....and there's nothing less attractive than a creepy gay man.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Hahaha! At least its entertaining to talk about later.