Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"I smell otters"

When the Howler was little and just learning to talk, she would say, "I smell otters."

Generally, only if she smelled something she didn't like.

It took forever to figure out what she meant, because sometimes she would say it, even if she were smelling something good (like supper).

Over time, she has come up with some interesting phrases.

She began by calling her brother "Derder". We thought it was a nonsense word she was using, until one night at supper. She was obviously talking at him, and she kept yelling "Derder!" So, duh, figured that one out. (It was eventually shortened, by her, to "der" and in general, has been a very descriptive word for him more than once. Smart girl!)

Anshinnigans, as in:
"I've had enough of your anshinnigans."

Something that surprises you:
"That scared the chickens out of me."

Try to not giggle. It's not funny.

No comments: