Friday, July 07, 2006

Promotions Available

If you are an idiot. But you have to fail the promotions test in order to get it.

At least, that's what it seems like. Sometimes, they choose right; more often, they choose wrong.

Why in the hell would a company, or manager, choose to promote and encourage someone who can't answer a phone, can't find his ass with both hands, and who shows up sometimes still drunk from last night's party?

These are the people who's parents are still paying their bills (their paychecks go for the much needed things like mixed drinks or beer). Or who, in their 20's, have no inkling as to what work ethic is--you're lucky if they show up repeatedly. Sometimes, these genuises are lucky to find the building after having a day off.

It makes it difficult to do MY job when I have to spend time on the phone walking my "superiors" through their departments to find things that I know exist there. Or when I have to call the department phone repeatedly because he's either A) making over-the phone bets; B) talking to his latest pickup/girlfriend C) afraid of the phone D) unaware that the ringing in his pants is not imaginary. Or when I have to spend time explaining the finer points of THEIR jobs to them.

If I wanted to babysit, I'd have my own day care. If I wanted to deal with adolescent attitude, I'd stay home. If I wanted the stress of doing YOUR job, I'd be doing it already.

Along with this, I want to know from management: What exactly is the rationale behind having ME help train my supervisor when you hire him or her from outside instead of promoting someone from within? How does it better my job performance if I have a question and the person I am to call doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about because I never taught them that?

I am a competent, intelligent person. I know my job. I can make a decision without having to consult a committee and I am willing to stand by my decisions. Someone please explain to me why it's more important to be liked than to be competent.

1 comment:

daionara said...

Because our country rewards children for competence and rewards adults for being popular.

We struggle to teach our children to excell in academics, to learn all they can and get good grades. Why? They ask. Because only the best of the best make it to the good jobs.

Then our country goes and makes George W. Bush president. He who was BARELY a C student. But he's popular don't ya know.