Theo finally got his learner's permit. Yep, the boy is driving. Mostly in parking lots, and not over 35 miles an hour, but he's driving.
God help me.
I've managed, so far, in the little time we've spent with him behind the wheel, to not turn into my mother. It's not easy.
He's actually not doing that badly, but I remind myself, "it's early yet."
The worst thing I've shouted so far is "BRAKE!!!!!" and I think I've only grabbed the dashboard twice. That's pretty good; I've got issues.
Great big fat control issues. Even the Nut Guy wouldn't touch them. Smart man. Anyway, I do have control issues. I like to be in control. I like to be the one deciding whether or not I'm going to go headfirst through the windshield and I like knowing that if I do end up embedded in a hillside, it's because I put me there.
Luckily, after 17 years, The Toad has figured this out. He can't figure out how to do homework and pass English, but he has managed to figure out that I like to be in control. And that I can only take so much of his tromping on the brake (even at 1o mph it can be rough on you) and he's been understanding of that.
He's also been nicer to be around.
I hope it lasts--his nicer attitude, my nerve, and the brakes on my van.
God help me.
I've managed, so far, in the little time we've spent with him behind the wheel, to not turn into my mother. It's not easy.
He's actually not doing that badly, but I remind myself, "it's early yet."
The worst thing I've shouted so far is "BRAKE!!!!!" and I think I've only grabbed the dashboard twice. That's pretty good; I've got issues.
Great big fat control issues. Even the Nut Guy wouldn't touch them. Smart man. Anyway, I do have control issues. I like to be in control. I like to be the one deciding whether or not I'm going to go headfirst through the windshield and I like knowing that if I do end up embedded in a hillside, it's because I put me there.
Luckily, after 17 years, The Toad has figured this out. He can't figure out how to do homework and pass English, but he has managed to figure out that I like to be in control. And that I can only take so much of his tromping on the brake (even at 1o mph it can be rough on you) and he's been understanding of that.
He's also been nicer to be around.
I hope it lasts--his nicer attitude, my nerve, and the brakes on my van.
1 comment:
Clear the sidewalks! Where did you say you live again? Note to self...
Post a Comment